Coverdrone’s Recreational Drone Insurance Policy

We are extremely well known for our industry leading commercial policy, however what you may not be aware of is that we also offer a recreational drone insurance policy. Since launching the product in December 2018, the policy has been extremely popular due to our fantastic policy features and flexible periods.

What Is Included Within A Recreational Policy?

There are a variety of benefits of obtaining a recreational policy with us, including:

  • Worldwide Cover – You can operator your drone anywhere in the world under our policy, subject to certain excluded territories.
  • Full Cover Whilst In Transit And Operation – Full policy cover is in force whether you are flying your drone, transporting it to and from location, or safely storing it (subject to certain excluded territories).
  • Equipment Cover For Accidental Loss Or Damage – Accidental loss of, or damage to, the UAS equipment (this includes associated equipment such as ground based units, laptops etc) including disappearance.
  • No Restriction On Number Of Drones Or Flying Hours
  • Flexible Periods Of Cover – Once registered, you will have the option to choose from one day to one year and everything in between. When your cover is due to expire, just log back into your account and choose another period of cover.
  • Hired-In (Non-Owned) Equipment Cover – This cover protects equipment that is not owned by you but is hired-in under a hiring agreement.
  • Public Liability Insurance – public liability insurance covers you against any damage you might cause to third party persons or property.
  • In-House Fast Claims Service – In the unfortunate event that you may need to make a claim, our specialist team are here to help with your claims every step of the way, as quickly as possible.

How Can I Obtain A Coverdrone Recreational Policy?

In order to obtain a quote or purchase one of our recreational policies, you can either go online to our mobile-friendly website (watch our How-To guide on our YouTube channel), download our Coverdrone FlySafe App or contact a member of our team.

If I Am a Recreational Drone Pilot Do I Need To Register?

In order for your recreational policy to be valid, we require that all drone pilots comply with local rules and regulations. As of November last year, within the UK, it is a requirement that all recreational drone operators obtain both a Flyer & Operator ID:

  • Flyer ID – Anyone who wants to fly must pass an online theory test on flying safely and legally. This test will have twenty multiple choice questions and the pass mark is 16. To prepare for the test, flyers can use the new Drone and Model Aircraft Code. Once the test has been passed, operators will get a flyer ID, which acts as acknowledgement of competency as a remote pilot from the CAA. There is no minimum age requirement, however children under the age of 13 can only register with a parent or guardian present. Your registration is valid for three years and it is free of charge to register.
  • Operator ID – An operator ID is separate to a flyer ID in the sense that anybody who is responsible for a drone or model aircraft must register as an operator. Once you have registered, you will get an operator ID with your certificate of registration. You must display your operator ID on your drones and model aircraft. You can use the same operator ID for all your drones and model aircraft. In order to be an operator, you must be aged 18 or over and your registration is valid for one year. The fee for this registration is £9 which is renewable annually.

If you have any questions in regards to weather our recreational policy is suitable for you, please do not hesitate to get in touch with a member of the team. With our annual policies starting at £16.80, our cover is a great way to create piece of mind when enjoying your drone with family and friends!